Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An Interview With John Amaechi

Every now and then, my blog affords me the opportunity to talk with certain newsmakers. Today, I am privileged to be joined by John Amaechi, who played several seasons in the NBA for Orlando and Utah. His recent book "Man in the Middle" is hitting the stores this week, and is causing quite a stir. Without any further adieu, welcome to TPWK.

John Amaechi: It's great to be here.

TPWK: Now, I've read a bit of your book, and it seems you encountered quite a bit of prejudice during your time in the NBA.

JA: Well, prejudice, certainly I experienced that in the oblique sense. Hushed whispers and the like.

TPWK: Right, and you feel that your were discriminated against for being a black player in the NBA?

JA: Black?

TPWK: I'm sorry, African-American.

JA: I'm from England.

TPWK: Isn't it the thought that counts? Now, I have to say, it seems as though several black, African-Anglo... players had paved the way long before your arrival. Michael Jordan comes to mind. I'm sure there were others.

JA: I think you are misunderstanding.

TPWK: Oh, don't get me wrong. I haven't walked a mile in your shoes. I am certainly aware that society views...

JA: I'm gay.

TPWK: Come again?

JA: I am a homosexual. That's the premise of the book.

TPWK: Oh, so it is a fiction, as though you were a homosexual player in the National Basketball Association. Provocative... Provacative...

JA: Um, no. I am actually a homosexual. That was kind of the impetus for writing the book.

TPWK: So, you're gay?

JA: Yes

TPWK: And you were a player in the National Basketball Association?

JA: That is correct.

TPWK: Weeeeeeeeeiiiiiird!

JA: Um, did you have any questions about the book?

TPWK: Oh, right. I'm sorry, it's just... This changes everything.

JA: Not really.

TPWK: Wow... And you're black too? I mean, African-gayomatic whatever...

JA: I don't think African-gayomatic is the accepted term, but yes I am black and gay.

TPWK: Oh, so you can use the term "black". I thought so. I was all freaked out.

JA: I don't really care either way.

TPWK: Wow... No, that's cool. That's cool... So, is Greg Ostertag gay? I mean, in secret.

JA: I have no idea.

TPWK: Cause he was white.

JA: I think I'm done here.

TPWK: Here, have a hot cocoa on me. Brother.

JA: You're giving me two dollars?

TPWK: Just a small token of appreciation of your courage.

JA: Whatever, man.

TPWK: HE SHOOTS! HE SCORES! HE'S GAY! Wow, I just can't get over that. Isn't that the dickens????

JA: (leaves)

7 Comments:

Anonymous peter said...

I heard that Greg Ostertag is gay. Big time.

Thanks for the cutting expose, Kevin!

2:08 PM  
Blogger That One Dude said...

Hold on... Hold on. Are trying to say that Greg Ostertag is a human. I just assumed he was either an alien or a robot. Wow. What is the term when a robot likes other robots from the same manufacturer?

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Thom said...

I love these Valentine Themed posts, Kevin.

2:35 PM  
Blogger journey of the discontent said...

Hey Kevin. I followed you over from Sojo. I guess i assumed you are Christian. Are you. Thi is seriously offnesive for a number of reasons. I thought you were just upset about libersl, but really I think you are just an angry man who lives in the sub-urbs. I'll just say that your blog helps me understand who you are a little better.

4:01 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Side note. Several people have wandered over to inform me that I live in the suburbs. That is so bizarre. I am such a city snob (which is obvious from this blog). I loathe the suburbs.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Asabagna said...

Kevin, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Very clever! As a "Black" Christian heterosexual male I get and appreciate your perspective.

I have read your comments at the "God's Politics" blog page for a while now. I may not at times agree with you or even understand where you are coming from, but I sense your sincerity of belief.

This is the first time I have visited your page. I will return and comment when moved to do so. You are welcome to visit my page too.

Asa

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Becka said...

Interesting to know.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home