Thursday, September 06, 2007

Five years after the switch

This weekend commemorates the five year anniversary of the official swapping of affiliations between UPN 9 and WFTC Fox 29, also know as "the switch."

I remember at the time of the switch, I was confused about a lot of things.. About life, about syndicated television. About everything. We were a nation about to go to war, still jarred by the pain of 9/11. Those were innocent times. Different times.

Then, then Simpsons were suddenlty on UPN, and the WB disappeared. Up was down, right was wrong.

A lot of times, my fingers would impulsively entone the numbers 2-9, in hopes that I might catch the nine o'clock news, only to be tricked into yet another "Mad About You" rerun. Years later, Paul Reiser's befuddled everyman haunts my soul, and even my sexuality.

I guess you could say that, after all this time, a part of me hasn't made the switch. A part of me still doesn't exactly know on which channel I can find That 70's Show from 5:30-6.

Like a lot of people my age who were confused by the switch, I did a lot of drugs to hide my sadness and confusion. It started off innocently enough. A little bit of coke maybe after church. It was months until I finally admitted to myself that I had a problem. They found me in my basement with a have eaten bottle of baking soda and a 1970s television set. My desperate attempt to make things right again, I suppose.

Over the years, the switch has changed me in a lot of ways. I no longer have faith in the goodness of network affiliates. I've lost weight. I don't speak to my father.

But, at the same time, I learned a lot. I realized that, while television is unstable and unreliable, God's is infallible. More importantly, I am still right here.

I AM STILL RIGHT HERE...

How did the switch affect you? Feel free to use this as a forum to share your thoughts.

5 Comments:

Blogger Freedom Fighter said...

Kevin
I just read that a Zogby poll revealed that 43% of Democrats believe that Bush had something to do with 9-11.
I'd say your battle with baking soda was worth it.

12:55 AM  
Anonymous Peter said...

"Years later, Paul Reiser's befuddled everyman haunts my soul, and even my sexuality."

The best joke in the history of TPWK. Bravo!

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Thom said...

I blame George Bush for the switch. Never would have happened if the true winner of the Election, Al Gore had won. But like all good things, Bush took the simplicity of Fox 29 away and made life more of a struggle.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

43% is approximately the percentage of the Democratic party that is completely insane. It's also the percentage that support a candidate other than Hillary. So it's Hillary Democrats vs. the fruitcakes.

Peter, what joke?

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Jon D said...

Your Mad About You reference brought back a painful mental picture, something I hoped I'd never have to see again:
Helen Hunt...
and her nose.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home