Monday, September 10, 2007

Monday Musings

It’s Monday. It’s late. Let’s roll.


Moveon.org has released an anti-war ad. The concept is a play on the name of Gen. Petraeus, asking whether ought, in fact, be referred to as “General Betray Us.”

Wow. Either they are banking on a heretofore unacknowledged national obsession with the game “Mad Gab”, or this is a colossal miscalculation. Of course, it is the latter, as the left-wing blogosphere apparently assumed that the whole world had caught on to their pedantic naming schemes (BushCo, Bushitler etc…)

Even so, it is tough to see how something this insipid got past someone who makes commercials for a living. Good grief.

-----------------------------

Oprah.com (via CNN) has some middling on advice on what to do if your kid is being bullied. “Build their self esteem,” “tell them to make friends,” blah, blah, blah. Here’s where I won’t be going for parenting advice. Oprah.com. If my kid has a problem with a bully, I’ll show him the clip from A Christmas Story where Ralphie beats the piss out of Scott Farkas.

I remember playing “Final Fight” at Chuck E. Cheese when I was 9. I put in a token to continue my game, and some kid pretended to put coins in himself, then took over the game. I went to my dad to ask for more tokens and he said “are you gonna let that f----n’ little wop play your game? Go back there and push him off.”

So I did. That did more for my self-esteem than any woman’s advice would. I did get my butt kicked by a mini-boss with yellow hair, though. Oprah’s an idiot.

------------------------------

I think it’s safe to say it just isn’t the Wolverine’s year, don’t you?

------------------------------

This past weekend, I think there was literally so much construction that it was impossible to get to Uptown, except by foot. Think this stopped gaggles of over-dressed white trash from descending on Williams Bar? I’m guessing no. I think, just for fun, that Minneapolis should just host a “drink-in”. Everyone gets a free bottle of schnapps and stays home. Sven Sundgaard can host a live drink-a-thon to raise money for, I dunno, horses with cerebal palsy

------------------------------

Yesterday, me and my wife went to the 10th Avenue Bridge to get a peak at the 35W bridge collapse. That’s right, we went to a bridge so we could get a look at a collapsed bridge. Icarus would be proud. It was cool to see all the damage and stuff though. In a way, I’m glad it happened. Gave me something to do, you know?

-----------------------------

This should go without saying, but that was a joke.

-----------------------------

Human-bee relations have reached a boiling point. Wouldn’t you agree?

5 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

it is remarkable how many insipid commercials end up on television considering how damn competitive that job market is. and then i remember what it was like to sit in the ad classes i took in college. and then i remember the other people who were in the class.

and then i remember why i went into soc...

but honestly. if you're going to spit out ridiculous propaganda against a person who, for all intents and purposes, considering his job, is pretty well respected and a reasonable person as far as i can tell... well the least you can do is be a little cleverer....

11:05 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

And his advice is hardly gung-ho, patriotic jargon. Scale back the troops a bit. Let the Iraqi government know we mean business, and let's give it a few mor months is hardly "stay the course".

The line that political ad folk give to explain their mediocrity is that they hae short turnarounds, and must react to news cycles. Hmmmm... I could do bettern than "Petraeus-Betrayus" in about 13 minutes.

Moreso, political admen are essentially salespeople who have networked their way into the hearts and minds of the organizations that hire them.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Marc Conklin said...

It's about as idiotic as the campaign to make John Kerry look French. Oh wait. That one worked.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Thom said...

That's because the right is really good at taking dumb phrases and making them into catch phrases that stick. Remember "FLIP...FLOP...FLIP...FLOP!!!" Thousands of Republicans chanting it for five minutes at the convention and it became the Republican answer to everything.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Thomwade said...

I have to say...the ad was just lame. But the response to it from the right has been downright laughable. The ad is almost starting to look legit after seeing Bush whine that more democrats did not was their time backing a vote to denounce the ad in the senate. I mean, what's weaker and lamer than this ad? Apparently our Senate and President who though it was worth more than a "Eh, lame ad, but...you know whatever." They totally legitimized the ad by making a huge deal out of it.

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home