Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Go Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy D, Jimmy D

On a Super Tuesday that would see Sen. John McCain ride his TPWK endorsement to the precipice of victory, successful parent and myopic political advocate Dr. James Dobson issued a statement expressing his disappointment with the candidates selected by the two parties. Read the whole thing here. Excerpts accompanied by my commentary below.

As voters in 24 states headed to the polls today to choose a presidential nominee, Dr. James Dobson released a statement to The Laura Ingraham Show.


Isn't Laura Ingraham Roman Catholic? Any port in a storm, I guess.

I am deeply disappointed the Republican Party seems poised to select a nominee who did not support a Constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage, voted for embryonic stem-cell research to kill nascent human beings,


Well there is a subtle intro for you. The hell with pleasantries; let's head straight to the laundry list.

has little regard for freedom of speech, organized the Gang of 14 to preserve filibusters in judicial hearings, and has a legendary temper and often uses foul and obscene language.


My church uses obscene and foul language. Our band sang "Creep" WITH the F-word. To be fair, our band isn't running for president. As for the Gang of 14 canard, McCain's work paved the way for John Roberts and Sam Alito to be confirmed to the bench. It wasn't going to happen otherwise. Trust me, I was there.

McCain also said publicly that Hillary Clinton would make a good president.


So long as he thinks that he would make a better one, which he clearly does, why on earth should I care what he thinks about Hillary Clinton?

Given these and many other concerns, a spoonful of sugar does NOT make the medicine go down.


I can see the ad now. Dr. James Dobson calls John McCain "a spoonful of sugar..."

I cannot, and will not, vote for Sen. John McCain, as a matter of conscience.


How magnanimous. If Sen. Brownback were still in the race, I would make a "Sam I am" joke here.

But what a sad and melancholy decision this is for me and many other conservatives.


Other conservatives? Speak for yourself, homeslice. I am ecstatic to have to opportunity to vote for the one candidate who has his head out of his ass when it comes to foreign policy. Unlike James Dobson, I refuse to sit idly buy while Islamofascists play tic-tac-toe with a world map. I don't have an underground Christian compound in the Rocky Mountains that I can run do when the crap goes down. Unlike you, I feel obligated to take politics seriously.

Also, saying something is "sad" and "melancholy" is redundant.

Should Sen. McCain capture the nomination as many assume, I believe this general election will offer the worst choices for president in my lifetime.


Yeah, Carter Vs. Ford was a clash of the friggin' titans.

If these are the nominees in November, I simply will not cast a ballot for president for the first time in my life. These decisions are my personal views and do not represent the organization with which I am affiliated.


Yeah, I'm sure the political debate is as heated as it is nuanced at FOTF HQ.

Amos: You know what's wrong with this country?
Jacob: Democrats.
Amos: You know, I was about to say liberals, but I think you're right.
Jacob: Oh no, liberals are bad too. You make a good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Amos: I love you.
Jacob: Yeah, that's why you have to go to the camps.

"Dr. Dobson's statement speaks for itself," said Gary Schneeberger, vice president of media relations for Focus on the Family Action.


Thank you for the insightful commentary, Mr. Schneeberger.


"all I see is his own personal 'straight talk' regarding why he can't vote for one candidate."


Really? Cause what I saw was a desperate struggle for relevance masked as a... Oh, right, the IRS... Yes, thank you James Dobson for your off-the-cuff remarks, undoubtedly prepared and edited by you only, and reproduced on your organization's website by mere happenstance.

While (Dobson) made it clear he was not endorsing anyone, he did say he would vote for former Gov. Mitt Romney — a Mormon — if he wins the Republican nomination:


Nothing says "I don't endorse anyone" like telling everyone who you intend to vote for. I'm glad that believing in a false God rates somewhere beneath cussing on Dobson's list o' disqualifying sins.

My theology is very, very different, obviously,


Obviously. Of course.

and I would not find myself in agreement with the ways he sees Scripture,


On account of your theology is so very, very different. Understandable.

and, of course, their own interpretation and extension of Scripture.


Yes, well, and they add other scriptures... And the stuff with the tablets, the underwear and distant planets... Very, very different as respects theology, you see.

I'm not in any way minimizing that; it's a very important issue.


No. One's opinion of God is much less important than one's opinion of Hillary Clinton. That makes total sense. We're on the same page, completely.

"I think we're facing such a point of crisis in our country, that we're going to have to have the strongest leadership we can."


So this election is about leadership all of a sudden? I thought it was about swearing and gay marriage. And why, pray tell, is McCain not a leader, whereas Romney is? And why is Dobson so interested in a candidate who, in addition to belonging to an influential, Godless cult, essentially spots 25 percentage points to the "virulent" Hillary and Obama?

If Dobson wants to be taken seriously, he should explore the answers to these questions. Otherwise, he simply sounds like a shill. I am beginning the suspect that he is one.

FOR MORE INFORMATION


No thank you.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Peter said...

Great post, Kevin.

Dobson's antics yesterday resulted in a heavy sigh and roll of the eyes on my part. Just another example of MDS (McCain Derangement Syndrome).

Dobson needs to open up a history book and understand that while preaching and theology may be about purity, politics is most certainly not.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Ted said...

Yeah, Carter Vs. Ford was a clash of the friggin' titans = Gold

Exactly on point.

I'm glad that believing in a false God rates somewhere beneath cussing on Dobson's list o' disqualifying sins.

You cannot underrate this point. It undercuts his whole argument.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Adam Omelianchuk said...

I am absolutely loving listening to talk radio this morning. Hearing all the conservos mourn over Romney is so great. MDS is so strong with them these days they are even saying Michael Medved is a trojan hourse liberal. Aweome.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Adam Omelianchuk said...

I am absolutely loving listening to talk radio this morning. Hearing all the conservos mourn over Romney is so great. MDS is so strong with them these days they are even saying Michael Medved is a trojan hourse liberal. Aweome.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Thom said...

Oh, I watched Medved on MSNBC the other night. Clearly all these years as a conservative pundit and talk radio host were all a ruse to foist his liberal agenda on us during the 2008 presidential race. INSIDIOUS!

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Thom said...

What will Dobson do now that Romney threw in the towel?

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home