Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tuesday Musings

Monday was Oscars, now it is time for musing merriment.


Yesterday, I made a snide comment about America not caring about the writers strike. I am not sympathetic to strikers in general, but I certainly see their point. Anyone who has attempted to write a screenplay or teleplay (is that an archaci term, teleplay?) knows that it is extremely hard. Most attempts, even from seasoned professionals, are absolutely abysmal.

And yet, the talented writers are sequestered from the filmmaking process, ignored by actors, disinvited to advance screenings. Oh, and they are paid a pittance for what they do. Kate Hudson gets $10 million to be pretty and stupid (to be fair, she delivers in spades), while a screenwriter gets about $25k to have his once-decent script mangled by producers and focus groups into something to which he may or may not want to have his name attached.

But, then, Hollywood is bad people, which is why normal people tune out when they preach their politics to us.

------------------------

Emergent Christian Bart Campolo, on his work with the poor:

In the meantime, since you don't have Smell-O-Vision, or Odorama, or probably even a good aroma therapy kit, I guess you'll have to take my word for it that loving poor people can be an awfully smelly business.
I guess...

-----------------------

So, the NYT has continued to dig it's own grave, buy having it's public editor defend it's front-page hit piece on John McCain. Had the reporters only refrained form focusing on sex, says he, they would have had a great story. About what? That it was in McCain's best interest to distance himself from lobbyists whilst riding on a bus called the "Straight Talk Express?"

Lobbyists talk to elected officials. All of them. They talk to Hillary Clinton, they talk to Hopeface, they talk to everyone. Occasionally, they are listened to. That's why they do it. It's not news, and it certainly isn't front page news.

----------------------

I am tired of sports programming, or at least the way it is offered to me. Regular readers know that I am a fan of professional basketball. Professional basketball is extremely difficult to find, as are other professional sports. Why? Because professional sporting events have been rendered as premium programming.

So, in spite of the fact that I have two dozen sports channels at my disposal, I can almost never watch my beloved Pistons do battle. Ball St. field hockey? Check. Women's rugby? 24/7. Highlights from transexual equestrian events in the 1970s? Thank you Big Ten network! Last night, NBA League Pass broadband was showing a Montana/Idaho St. game from the NIGHT BEFORE.

I wish I were Chinese so David Stern would care about me.

-----------------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home