Monday, March 31, 2008

Monday Musings

Keith Marler has wrought his wintery man-grief upon our roadways. The Memphis Tigers worked the MSU Spartans like Monica Belucci in a Paris subway. Everything is sadness. Let's muse.

Recently caught the film "In the Valley of Elah". It was all well and good, though it devolves into rote police procedural toward the end. That said, I wonder when Iraq War veterans are going to begin challenging the assertion that all soldiers are meth-addicted psychopaths who drown their pets.

I understand that war is hard, and filmmakers are quick to blame it all on their perception of the senselessness of the war, but Hollywood's treatment of our armed servicemen is condescending and insulting. If you perceive me as a person who cannot discern the difference between my only son and an enemy combtant, I could care less about how you derived your conclusion.
--------------------

I stand corrected: Barack Obama did give, generously, of his time and money from 2000-2004. It's just that he was too noble to take a tax deduction for it. There is no reason to question this assertion, as his followers certainly are not. Everything about Obama is fantastic and hopeful. I'm embarrassed to even have brought it up.

--------------------

Boom!

--------------------

Has anyone seen lolcats? Aren't they awesome and funny. I iz in your refriger8or, eatin you cheezburger. Ha, ha, ha... So fun. I'm going to only blog about this from now on.

--------------------

So Melodyne, a software company that makes pitch correction software, has invented a technology that can tune a chord. In other words, if you play a collection of varying pitches onto the same track, the software can discern each individual note, and your producer can monkey with the pitch, volume, timbre of that one note. In the past, ProTools and its contemporaries could only handle one pitch per track.

What does this mean for music? Well, given that there is no longer any concrete incentive to get things right, bands will be able to record tracks much more quickly. Timbaland and other star producers can assign the rote pitch correction to lackeys, and essentially rewrite the material once a rought cut is made, exhibit absolute control over the product (get ready for auto-tuned acoustic guitar action) and generally churn out more product. So all pop music will sounds the same.

Your neighbor's garage band will produce a recorded product that is essentially indistinguishable from a seasoned pro group utilizing the same producer. The only variable will be how much lackey time a band can afford to pay for. In the near future, every Minnesota band will be from Wayzata. I can't wait. Thank you, Melodyne.

-------------------

And don't get me started on what this means for a cappella. Oh, you weren't? Yeah, probably not, huh?


I will vanquish you Marler!

Um, for the weather, not for Melodyne, which would be absurd.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Pop music pretty much does sound all the same already, though not as much as rap all sounding the same.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

I'm inclined to agree, but would also suggest that you haven't seen anything yet.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

What if Pop were to incorporate acapella bridges in their songs???

Whatever happened to Ball in the House?

For the most part I feel out of touch with any music that isn't country. I'm going through that phase. Every time I turn back to KTIS hoping to hear new stuff, it's the same 5 songs they've played for 5 years which is why I abandoned that radio staion- and the departure of Chuck and John.

I do have to say that some music I didn't expect would appeal to me, actually has. Like Gwen Stefani, Fergie, the Black Eyed Peas.

I still like a good alternative band. I think the Plain White T's have potential if they'd stop trying to capitalize on one song.

Green Day's pretty solid.

Haven't seem much come from Maroon 5 or Nickleback recently but I would rather an artist take some time between albums and not try to release one every year where all the tracks do merge into one superlong monotony, i.e. Rascal Flatts.
Their early stuff was pretty good but now it all sounds the same to me.

Maybe that's why I'm more into emerging artists rather than well established ones. New sounds, more effort.

My most amazing discovery through serendipity was Rachael Yamagata.
Can't wait for her next album.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home