Sunday, April 13, 2008

Monday Musings

It's Monday (and maybe Tuesday, too)... Let's get back in the action.

Can I take a moment to apologize for last week's blog entries? Let's see... Go to San Francisco, report on my time their, and offer virtually no personal commentary whatsoever. What am I, Fodors? Armed with substantially more sleep, I plan to do better.

------------

Brian McLaren, who ranks among the gendarmerie of Democrat Christians who claim not to be, has released an album. Take a listen to a featured "single".

It is horrendous. Trite, maudlin, inexplicably out of tune, it is a train wreck of a song. Worse, it essentially functions as a remix of the Sufjan Stevens I-L-L-I-N-O-I-S track, complete with an arbitrary twiddling cornet.

This from a man who wrote an angry open letter (what is it with liberals and open letters?) to Christian Contemporary Artists at large, faulting them from stealing the beauty away from God's gift of music.

I'd advise Mr. McLaren not to quit his day job but, then, I'd just as soon he did that as well.

------------

So, I finally caught Atonement. Keira Knightley was fine (all she really had to do was be hot enough for a man to want to have sex with, which isn't hard, especially for her). It possesses an elegiacal quality, reminiscent of The English Patient, and manages to confound the genre sufficiently to hold interest.

It's not great. I can't decide whether the film earns its Wilderesque payoff. But it is worthy, nonetheless.

------------

I'll have more to say on Barack Obama later, but good grief. Isn't this guy supposed to be the rock star of the whole damned Democratic party? I suppose he could still be considered a rock star, in the emo sense, but... What an ass.

I suppose many of his swooning female supporters have said the same thing, in a different context. A coterie of bimbos puking on the memory of Susan B. Anthony, such women.

------------

Northwest and Delta are expected to announce their merger today. The new airline will represent that largest in world history. Not to be outdone, marketing teams from both airlines have conceived a new logo going forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home