Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Travelogue - Day Two

w00t! Turns out I get a free day in San Francisco. What should I do??? So many choices! A city with such a diversity of activities and things to explore.

------------

Like a good lemming, I go to the wharf and Pier 39. It’s like I have a microchip implanted in my tourist, white-person brain. It’s the most irresistible tourist trap in the nation, the Mall of America on the sea.

-------------

San Francisco is a hard city to walk around. This has been said, but I’m saying it. On a positive note, there is a corner of Chinatown that makes me feel positively giddy with cosmopolitanality. This is one cultured Republican. I’m going to go huff bok choy and snort sesame wafers.

------------

I stop at an Italian joint in a district that has lots of them. Penne with marinara, sausage and gorgonzola. One thing I’ve noticed about both meals. They were served hot. Like, I had to wait for them to cool off. How often do you get a hot meal in a Minnesota restaurant? It almost never happens. Lukewarm food with a lukewarm attitude. That’s the Minnesota way.

------------

Another dinner, and we are yet again driving across this nightmare of a driving town to find a restaurant. After dinner, we head to the ice cream place. I have chocolate ice cream with olive oil and sea salt on it. I order it on the principle that, if it’s unorthodox, there has to be a reason for it to be on the menu. There is no reason for this to be on the menu, from any sort of taste perspective.

------------

I get some chocolate sauce, which will be important information later.

------------

If the Westin St. Francis invested half as much into their internet service as they do their chandeliers, I would respect it more as a business hotel. Especially if they’re charging $15 a day.

------------

Everything, and I mean everything, in San Francisco is tinged with pee smell. Beautiful city, though.

------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home