Monday, June 30, 2008

Monday Musings

It's Monday. It's nice outside. Time for me to sit in my basement and throw stones.

More than a year ago, I switched from Comcast to Direct TV, for the reason that Comcast failed to provide me equipment that worked, or otherwise exhibit any level of basic human competence with respect to providing me service. Now, I have received a notice that my credit card is being charged for a modem that is allegedly theirs.

I don't have said modem, and asked for a supervisor (one not from India) to call me back and help me get to the bottom of this. No response. I call back, and they said they had looked into the matter and didn't see a reason to call me back.

Note to idiots and Comcast, I am now telling hundreds of potential customers that my experience with your service was abysmal, and I'm going to file a complaint with the department of commerce, which in tandem will cost a heck of a lot more than a modem. How's that for a reason?

Suffice to say, Comcast sucks, in my view.

------------

So, does Barack Obama agree with ANYTHING his friends and supporters have to say? To listen to him, you'd think he's the most disagreeable person on the planet.

Suffice to say, attacking McCain's military record is about as smart as attacking Obama's race.

------------

The Science museum of Minnesota will be hosting a Star Wars exhibit in the coming weeks. A couple of comments. First, I can't think of anything that interests me less. Seriously, the trilogy came out thirty years ago, only to spawn three more insipid, maudlin piles of dreck twenty years later. The dorks have Lord of the Rings to obsess over now. Enough.

Second, how is this science? At least Star Trek fans take the time to learn krypton or whatever that imaginary language is.

Suffice to say, if my tax money is paying for this, I'm pissed.

------------

If I appreciate anything, it's stories about people shooting belligerent dogs in self defense. That said, this piece of reporting is likely to fall short of a pulitzer. My favorite graph:

"Bonnie Bullcalf, who lives nearby, described the incident, "And I seen the dog lunge at the police officer and the police officer pushed him back with his two hands. And then the dog lunged at him again at that's when the police officer drew his gun, just started shooten.""

Thanks for the insight, Ms. Bullcalf, how's little Bisonslab doing these days? And, pray tell, did you specify to the reporter that "shooten" should be spelled with an "en" instead of an "in'". Did you pronounce it "shoe-ten"? That seems unlikely.

------------

Jakob Dylan has a solo album coming out. You know what I like about Jakob Dylan? Unlike his father, I don't have to pretend I like his music. So I won't.

------------

The peas are coming in nicely. Bumper crop this year, the peas.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Trekkies speak Klingon, not Krypton. Yes I'm a Trekkie. Yes I've been to conventions. I think it's like Halloween unlike the people there who think it's real life.

No I don't speak Klingon, either.

I agree that the "new" Star Wars movies really sucked...even though Natalie Portman had a pretty cool wardrobe. She looked the best in her death procession.

Fortunately I'm still not into politics so I don't have to care what Obama says. I vote republican in general. This year should be no different.

I had a friend who works for Comcast. Another sad thing about that company is that it fails to promote its competent employees leaving them discouraged and quitting. The turn aorund rate is so big, I'm surprised the employees even realize they're working for Comcast before they move on.

Will you be having a pea harvest party in honor of your bumper crop?

2:07 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Sarah,

You don't have to care about politics. I'll have an official TPWK voter guide ready in advance of the election.

Also, you might re-examine the logic of your first two paragraphs. Here's how that syllogism plays out.

1. Trekkies speak Calgon.

2. I am a Trekkie.

3. I do not speak Calgon.

6:03 PM  
Blogger soup said...

Favorite part from Clark's response:

"But he hasn't held executive responsibility,"

Yeah, niether has Obama...or anyone else that has never been president before.

1:10 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Yeah, the logic of that statement was absurd. Military service does not singularly qualify one for the presidency, but how could Wesley Clark, of all people, argue that it isn't a contributing qualification?

My guess is that Obama's team wanted to float the Rovian strategy of attacking McCain perceived strength. Wesley Clark is as good a surrogate as any to see if the charge will stick.

It didn't stick, and if they thought it would, they lack savvy and nuance.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Jerad said...

Already seen the Star Wars exhibit. Not as cool as the commercials on KARE 11 advertising it are.

There were props from the movies with science bits on magnetic levitation, robotic AI, robotic facial recognition, robotic motion, technology for surviving in Hoth-like conditions, and some John Deere tree-cutting robot. Plus games with legos and magnets and Tatooine-society simulations.

I came in with one objective, however, and left unfulfilled: I still don't know how to make a lightsaber.

4:00 PM  
OpenID sauce1977 said...

The Comcast phantom modem happened to me as well.

Back in '04, moving from Los Angeles, I discovered Comcast counted the modem I owned as their rental. I spent plenty of time getting them to resolve the charges.

It came down to a serial number check against their stock. Obviously, mine didn't match the serials in their database. I received the cash refunded, plus the dogs being called off of me.

2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home