Monday, September 15, 2008

Tuesday Musings

Hello... Again... Let's muse...


Those who read my blog regularly know that I don't fanboy up on comic book stuff. That said, the current series of Batman films has me following the speculation of who will be cast as the next villain.

Apparently, Phillip Seymour Hoffman has accepted the role as the Penguin. That's about enough to make me get in touch with my inner geek. Pass the Funyons.

If the rumors are true, Hoffman is sort of the Sarah Palin of the franchise. Nolan was in a bind after the brilliant performance of Heath Ledger. The only pick that could distract attention would be to pick arguably the best actor in Hollywood. Apparently, he did just that. You can't put lipstick on a pig, but you can die Philip Seymour Hoffman's hair black.

------------

Seriously, what just happened to me. I need to teach a kid how to throw a baseball, stat.

------------

As I mentioned last week, I vacationed in Door County. I supped as well, though not as frequently as I would have liked. In particular, I enjoyed Julie's Park Cafe. It's a "made from scratch" type place with an emphasis on local ingredients. I have no observation beyond noting that such a thing ought not be notable. We tolerate garbage when it comes to food in this town.

Speaking of...

------------

My wife and I were feeling lazy on Saturday evening, so we headed up to Granite City, the uberchain that has suddenly abounded throughout the Twin Cities. I like it because I have a card that entitles me to cheap beer.

We arrive at the restaurant to find a line out the door. This on a rainy day. Can someone explain to me the mindset that is willing to sit in the rain waiting for a spot at a chain restaurant? Who are these people, and what is wrong with them?

------------

And so we went to Boston's which, near as I could tell, is essentially the same restaurant, minus the cheap beer. Meanwhile, some outstanding, undiscovered restaurant sat with an empty table. Shame on us.

------------

In the attempt to appeal to gullible Catholics (or, as I call them, Catholics), the Obama campaign has released faith-based bumper stickers. According to the Obama campaign these bumper stickers and placards are appropriate for all religions.

Great, nothing like a yard sign that says "I'm faithy: Vote Democrat". Maybe they can stick them in Northwestern Book Store, right by the Christian fortune cookies. Puke.

------------

According to the article cited above, Vera Wang is producing pro-Obama fashion accessories. I'm sure they'll be a hit in Southern Ohio.

------------

Note to Netflix: The first 18,000,000 popup ads were not persuasive. At this point, it is probably safe to anticipate a similar result from popup ad 18,000,001. Seriously, start a viral campaign or something.

------------

That is all...

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted said...

Hoffman has denied ever talking to anyone about it.

2:51 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Hoffman needs to shut up. Shut up, Hoffman.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Thom said...

Hoffman should just say he signed on anyways. It would be good PR.

"Seriously, what just happened to me. I need to teach a kid how to throw a baseball, stat. "

You need to teach a team to man-up after that.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home