Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Hopeface addresses the nation

Tonight, our Pastor-in-Chief interrupts American Idol to deliver the first of his fireside chats.

Ronald Reagan used to do this a lot, if I remember correctly. One time, his address to the nation pre-empted a Peanuts special I had my heart set on. I hated Ronald Reagan when I was a kid.

My lamentation was obviously trivial, but not entirely inconsequential. In this day and age, is it really necessary for the President to take over the airwaves to address the nation? Of course not, but it suits his purposes. If I want to watch Obama pimp his stupid stimulus package, I can pull up a speech on YouTube.

But I don't want to do that. Barack Obama bores me, just like Reagan bored me. I want to watch American Idol. Americans, I suspect, would make a similar calculation. There is something inherently fascist about our leader appearing on every channel to promote himself.

So tonight, the government is depriving me of the opportunity to do what I want to do, in an effort to persuade me that further deprivation (viz. my paycheck in 2035) is what's best for me and for the country. If I'm really lucky, Bobby Jindal will deprive me further in order to tell me that further deprivation will be necessary, but not for the reasons Obama claims.

1 Comments:

Anonymous xfree9 said...

Well-said. Waste of time, retrospect!

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home