Sunday, June 14, 2009

Monday Musings

Was going to get into the David Letterman-Sarah Palin flap. Then I read James Lileks , and I can’t at all top this:

How did we get here? Blame Dave. When he came on the air, he was utterly new, and hilarious.
He may have invented the posture of Nerd Cool… the skill at deflating enthusiasm, puncturing passion with a hatpin lobbed from a safe distance… Now he's about as edgy as a soccer ball,”
An apt description of political satire in this country. Lileks continues:

Yet reserve some sympathy. Money aside, it can't be fun to deal flat, rote A-Rod jokes night after night and hear laughter you know the joke didn't earn.
Ouch.

------------

Realpolitik types are heralding Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s “landslide victory”. The logic is as follows. A victory by his challenger, who is only nominally less extreme than Ahmadinejad, would have placated the Iranian masses, thereby stalling needed reforms.

I disagree. At present, the Iranian masses (or the reform minded among them) are taking to the streets in violent protest. In other words, they have already given up on the notion of civil reform. This is a path to the sort of anarchy the breeds tribalism (see: Afghanistan), not Democracy.

------------

Over at Sojourners (whose blog has banned me from the comments section in a typically petty gesture on their part), Jim Wallis regurgitates the left-wing talking points on the Holocaust Museum shooting. With regard to the “hate speech… spouted by radio talk show hosts or cable TV commentators…” he writes:

I am not normally for the old practice of “shunning,” the practice of deliberately and habitually avoiding association with a group or individual. But these recent events make me think it is time we consider shunning those who propagate the hate speech that provides the framework of justification for these heinous acts.
This, from an organization that has publicly labeled Jeremiah “Them Jews” Wright a prophet and includes links to Crazykos on its blogroll.

------------

It wasn’t a good food week either. Had the chance to go to Pizza Nea, which was extravagantly unspecial, a disappointment since I am a fan of Neapolitan style pie. The crust was chewy and dry, the toppings were soggy and sparse. No dice.

------------

That is nothing compared to my experience at W.A. Frost. Regular readers know I hate happy hour shenanigans. My philosophy is that you should either honor your happy hour, or that you should not have one.

Long story short, my visit was high on shenanigans, but they merit a separate post, so look for that later this week.

-----------

Kentucky Grilled Chicken is simply the worst tasting thing being sold at any restaurant. It’s slippery. So help me God… Slippery.

------------

Ending on a high note, the Pumphouse Creamery is, well, a high note. You know what I’ve noticed about quality ice cream? It doesn’t melt. I mean, it melts eventually, but not while you’re eating it.

Also, it’s never too cold. Cold Stone is served at like 35 degrees Kelvin, and almost immediately turns into a puddle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You were banned from a blog?? Sweet. No doubt your fan following over there (if you have one) will look at your blog to see your comments about Sojourner's topics.

I'm interested to hear what you have to say about W.A. Frost. I've always had pleasant experiences there....but it's been like 5 years since I've eaten there.

PS: What made me laugh this morning? : RT Rybak wants to be my friend on facebook.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Jerad said...

Curious for a link to the thread that led to your being banned from the Sojo blog.

Also: I have a lot of hope for what could be happening in Iran, but it could go either way. The revolution against the shah was organized, but this is spontaneous.

Lebanon is the only state in the region I can think of that had a previously ostensibly democratic system and endured national chaos (the cedar revolution). It emerged more democratic. I pray that Iran follows precedent.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Anon,

Well, I have one VERY dedicated fan from there who is the sole reason for my having to moderate comments. It was more fun when they made you link to the comments.

As for Frost, they have been notoriously unsteady in the kitchen over the last few years. I will do my best to ensure they are equally notorious for their egregious service.

Jerad,

There was no explanation given for the banning, nor was I even informed of it (I had to find out through Disqus). The only two people who have been banned are myself and another conservative who was also among the most reasonable commenters.

I pray that organization soon becomes as fiscally bankrupt as it is morally so.

Iran can endure chaos if the right forces foment chaos, and if they have allies in the West. Unfortunately, Obama will need a Clintonian whipping boy, so revolution is not in his political interests.

6:42 PM  
Blogger soup said...

Yeah, that's dumb you got banished. You should come back. Fight the power.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Jerad said...

Re: Iran, I think Obama sees a true democracy there as being in US interest, but not one worth American lives. (Given that neither candidate represents a particular improvement re: our safety.)

Re: Sojourners, they are not morally bankrupt. There are wonderful, beautiful, born again, dedicated Christians working to bring God's kingdom to our earth who work there. That said, I'm with soup--assuming you're presenting cogent arguments, you should do what you can to increase the breadth of dialogue.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Sojourners is an organization devoted to fusing Democratic press releases with new-age spirituality. Whether born-again Christians work there is a questioned unanswered by Sojo's external communications.

At best, they are the left-wing equivalent of the 700 club. When not discussing politics, however, Pat Robertson generally affirms the basic gospel message, if erratically.

Not so with the writing members of Sojourners. At all.

They do continue to harangue me for money. Maybe if I give money, they'll unban me. Actually, that would make for a good blog post.

8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home