Monday, August 17, 2009

Monday Musings

Sorry I can't continue my Vegas musings, but what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Also, the most exciting thing that happened to me in Vegas was that my friends ran into Wayne Brady on the escalator. I guess you had to be there. Let's muse.

------------

I will note that, when I arrived in Vegas, my friends decided on Lux, a restaurant in the Venetian. Lux is owned and operated by the Cheesecake Factory. Basically, I travelled half way across the country to eat overpriced Applebees. Oh, and $14 for a martini was a nice touch.

------------

I think the golf championship was just an excuse for the Goodyear blimp to come to Minnesota and steal my dreams.

------------

Dreamthief Tire wouldn't make a bad brand name.

------------

Memo to conservatives: Can it with the Nazi symbols, and stick to attacking Obama's stupid health plan.

------------

Memo to liberals: Quit bitching about the Nazi symbols, and defend Obama's stupid health plan. Seriously. Score, if we were to reference the Argumentum ad Hitlerum Scoresheet, your team would be up 151,678,253 to 27.

------------

Memo to Barack Obama: Quit saying we need healthcare reform right now because Jimmy O'Toole in Peoria died while waiting for red tape to unravel. You are proposing to introduce a bureaucracy. Nobody believes that this will eliminate red tape. Nobody.

------------

Memo to Six Flags: I know you spent millions of dollars on rebranding so you could incorporate that creepy old man into, like, everything, but that doesn't change the fact that he's creepy, does it? Re-brand him back out.

------------

Memo to me: Your overplaying the theme here, me.

------------

Marley and Me is an interminable film. It's a comedy without jokes, and a drama that uses montages in lieu of dialogue. Also, why does a two hour long film need montages? Also, does Owen Wilson have a stipulation in his contract that each of his films must have at least nine endings? He should star in a remake of Clue.

------------

Rinata should not star in a remake of Clue. But only because it is an Italian restaurant, and a mighty fine one at that. It's on 25th and Hennepin, on the bearable side of Uptown and, along with sister restaurant Al Vento, is helping to bring real midpriced Italian options to the cities.

------------

Made a pesto out of basil from the garden. Take that, Rita Rudner.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jerad said...

We made a pesto out of basil from the CSA this weekend! No garlic, extra garlic powder, and extra lemon juice made for something passable but it's not quite store-level yet. What recipe did you use?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

1.5 cups basil.
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup soy nuts
1/3 cup olive oil (I know)
1/3 cup parmesan
4 Cloves Garlic
6 small zebra tomatoes (about twice the size of the biggest cherry tomatoes you'll find)
Two large whole olives
Salt/Pepper

I seeded and drained the tomatoes, but added a bit of juice back in to compensate for the fact that the recipe actually calls for 1/2 cup of olive oil.

I sort of made it up, but I am ecstatic with the results. Soy nuts are an excellent stand in for more expensive nuts or seeds when you need them in bulk.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home