Thursday, August 06, 2009

My Civic Duty

In response to criticisms of Obamacare, the White House is ramping up efforts to stop the insidious misinformation campaign. Citizens have been asked to flag all instances of lies and distortion, and report them to the White House.

Well, THIS Obama donor wasn't going to miss the opportunity. I White House asked, and I heeded the call. Here is a copy of that letter.

Dear Mr. President,

First of all, as an Obama donor, I would like to thank you for your ongoing efforts to set the record straight about health care reform. It is imperative that we cut the misinformation campaign off at the head. With that in mind, I was wondering if you had any recommendations as to what to do about my Facebook friends (and family).

I respect my friends, and I respect the freedom of speech. However, when I leave a comment on their status updates (read: propaganda), I am either shouted down, or have my comments deleted.

Facebook is a public forum, and such dishonesty is tantamount to slander. I have flagged many of these posts as such, and have "defriended" as necessary, but I feel like we need to do more. I have filed civil and criminal complaints in this matter. Unfortunately, Minnesota is a bit too close to "Jesusland", and so I fear my calls will go unheeded.

What are the best next steps? Protests and complaints are not enough. Alas, the Rethugs (who pretty much own the Internets) have a vehicle at their disposal to allow their lies to go unfettered.

I would propose legislation, call it the "Reforming Facebook Standards Act", that will reclaim our social media sites for truth. If someone provides an update with certain keywords (e.g. rationing), they can be monitored. Same goes if they link to right-wing propaganda sites (National Review, Atlantic Monthly), that information can be sent to Facebook proprietors, who can make a decision on how to act.

The administration can formulate guidlines and make recommendations as to how Facebook should respond. You could make the standards public, shaming social networking sites into action.

We still preserve free speech, but also introduce accountability. Otherwise, our healthcare is in the hands of the lunatics who threaten to mob our congresspeople at town hall meetings. We lay our liberties and the hands of propagandists and Nixon-HMO shills.

Just my two cents. Please let me know how I can be of assistance. My mother has heart problems. Every day we preserve the big corporate status quo is a day we risk losing her. This is real for so many of us. We need to give a voice to the millions of people who don't have the benefit of a corporate infrastructure that bribes them into complacence. We need CHANGE, and that comes from within.

I'm willing to do what it takes.

Sincerely,

Kevin

(aka Blueriddla'08)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home