Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday Musings - First Snow Edition

As Minnesotans resume their muted grumbling, let's roll.

The BBC alerts us
to something Minnesotans are already experiencing first hand. The Earth isn't really warming.

The fact that the Earth has been cooling since 1998 has been acknowledged by green scientists for some time, so this is hardly revelatory. What is revelatory is the proclamation by one of the IPCC (Al Gore's fan club, or vice versa) scientists predicts continued cooling for the next 10-20 years.

In spite of this, we are to place our unwavering faith in the "settled science", even as the science continues to update it's "projections" post facto. Not buying it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you're not, gonna, you're not gonna fool me again.

I'll go ahead and move myself back into the global warming skeptic column.

------------

After Oslo awarded Barack Obama the Nobel Peace Prize, commentators on both sides of the aisle proposed he decline the award. To have done so would have been humble, appropriate and (consequently) politically savvy. Of course, Obama accepted the award.

You know who would have turned it down? John McCain, that's who. But I think a Clinton (Bill or Hillary) might have as well.

Which brings me to this. As Obama's policies continue to falter, he is going to need keen political instincts to keep him and his party afloat. I flatly do not think he has any such instincts at his disposal. His ken is unkeen, you could say, which is good, for Americans, if not for Oslo.

------------

If you are looking for an affordable date spot, you can scarcely do better than the Tanpopo Noodle Shop. The simple, elegant decor matches a simple, elegant offering. The Agedashi tofu appetizer and mushroom soba ($12.50 for the pair) were standouts. It earns a strong recommendation from me.

------------

I'd write more, but I have to spend more time under blankets. Viva la small business!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home