Monday, February 08, 2010

Monday Musings

Peyton Manning Failure! The narratives have been advanced! Let's muse...

------------

I can't muster the energy to assign 'C's and 'D's to the Superbowl ads, so I won't.

I would assign a 'D' to the trifling Tebow ad, which is an unbearably folksy treatment of an important issue, but for the absurdity of the responses to the ads. The National Organization for Women has accused Focus on the Family of supporting violence against women: Quoth NOW President Terry O'Neill:

"I am blown away at the celebration of the violence against women in it," she said. "That's what comes across to me even more strongly than the anti-abortion message. I myself am a survivor of domestic violence, and I don't find it charming. I think CBS should be ashamed of itself."

Sometimes, if you want to be taken seriously, you should be so serious, especially at the service of an utterly disingenuous argument. Going out of your way to appear a scold isn't going to win anyone to your cause.

------------

Okay, I'm on the topic. The Green Police ad didn't make any sense. If the Green Police are going to create a totalitarian state, you're better off buying a Hummer so you can them over.

Who was this targeting? If I hate the Green Police, I don't want to appease them. If I like the Green Police, then I am offended for obvious reasons. If the message is that you don't have to be a greeno screwball to make the world cleaner, then, you know, say that.

------------

Is the AARP going to get offended because Betty White got taken down in a Snickers ad?

------------

American auto manufacturers are exploiting the Toyota recall. This is an understandable impulse, and Toyota has certainly handled this badly, but the logic is absurd. It's like a overweight middle-aged lady in an oversized Garfield t-shirt pointing to Peyton Manning's Superbowl loss as proof that she is the superior athlete.

------------

Speaking of the Superbowl, a message to Busters on 28th: If you are going to give the staff the day off, put something up on your website. One of my major pet peeves is restaurants that randomly decided to be closed without telling anyone.

------------

Speaking of things you can choose to take overly seriously, if you are a scold... The wife and I went to The Strip Club in St. Paul. The food there is excellent, and I am fast becoming a fan of grass fed beef. For $26, you can't get a better steak in this town.

------------

1 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Though Bud Light did Ok this year, the one commercial that made me LOL was Brett Favre with holographic trophy in hand saying he thinks he might retire now.

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home