Sunday, February 20, 2011

Monday Musings - Not emotional edition

Snowmageddon Part 14 canceled my business trip. So much wrong there, let's muse.

------------

People are really emotional about this Wisconsin teachers thing. It is very strange to get emotional about the question of whether and how someone should negotiate his or her wages.

I do not get to negotiate my wages in any meaningful sense. Nobody is emotional about this. I am not emotional about this. There is no reason to be emotional about this.

Like, what happens, I think, is that people read talking points and stuff. They formulate a position, and internalize it. and then that position becomes part of them. It's hard not to be emotional about you.

But also, a lot of people know teachers. It's easy to be emotional about friends.

------------

I won't comment on which side I find to be exploiting emotions. Just look at your Facebook status updates.

------------

I think I speak for every Republican, though, when I say, literally, that I hate teachers. Let's just let the cat out of the bag, as there is no other reasonable conclusion. I'm glad we were able to hash the discussion out on this level. Reasonable dissent is a bad idea.

Also, screw unicorns.

------------

Dodge car commercials are, suddenly, very entertaining. Their cars, on the other hand, remain poor. To which, it costs like $2,000,000 to craft a bunch of really interesting ads. It costs, like, a billion to make a better car.

------------

Or you can be like Chevy and do neither. There is that option, clearly.

------------

On Facebook, generally:

I hate esoteric assertions of a foul mood on Facebook. Not because they are esoteric, or foul, but because they could refer to anything. People are often literally just as devastated by soggy french fries as they are by major calamities.

So you try to engage their esoteric expression of foulness, thinking it's a soggy french fries scenario, or maybe they didn't realize Tab was diet all this time.

Then, boom, mom's dead, drunk driving, something awful happened in Tibet. No french fries involved. Now you're the heavy. Kind of an ugly bait and switch.

Solution: I could shut up, but that's boring, and defeats the purpose of Social Media.

Better solution: If mom's dead and your childhood friend was arrested, say "my mom's dead and my childhood friend was arrested", and not "life is so hard sometimes... Thank God for Doritos."

Right?

------------

Buy a snow blower. Just do. You don't know what you're missing, but that is irrelevant to the question of whether you are missing something. That's a very bourgeois sentiment to apply to snow, but I have this question licked, and am certain of my position.

------------

I am not emotional about snow blowers, no. I'm bourgeois about them, but not emotional.

I did get emotional over the construction of the gas can I recently purchased. There are settings, and they are tricky, and must be executed simultaneously. Again, this is a product whose only purpose is to store gasoline, and to facilitate introduction of same into a tank. Some obsessive-compulsive engineer was given too much latitude, I think.

------------

The baby is coming along nicely. Thank you for asking. He/she is the size of a hamster or so, and has eyes, probably. It has not exploded, and does not seem to be retarded. That's about as far as I've gotten in the minutiae.

------------

Was it really necessary for MSP to cancel every flight yesterday? I can't imagine this is so. This sort of has a "you have to turn off your computers at certain altitudes" vibe to it. I'm sure planes can operate in light snow, even if that light snow is projected to turn into heavy snow.

Is anyone an expert on aviation? I will be mildly disappointed if not.

------------

Done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home