Monday, April 04, 2011

Tuesday Musings

It's not Monday anymore. I still wish to muse. I will, therefore.

------------

Lindsey Graham: Free speech is a great idea, but we're in a war.

Me: South Carolina can muster a primary challenger to this guy, yes?

My goodness, nobody seems to care if we burn our own flag, but burn the "holy" book of the people who hate us?

Islam, the unofficial official religion of the United States.

------------

Why it's wrong (morally, if not Constitutionally) to burn the flag: You live under it. It is a symbol of your very protections.

The Koran? Does nothing for you. At all. Some people are really into it. The same can be said for Dungeons and Dragons manuals.

------------

In response to the drastic (i.e. nominal) budget cuts Republican are proposing, Jim Wallis has taken to the National Press Club to announce a fast. The New Testament says little about fasting, and doesn't actually require it (I do not oppose the practice, and have even partaken). However, Jesus is pretty clear that we shouldn't declare our fast in public.

Would Christ have ever crafted a press release, much less a partisan one?

------------

Hit up the Oceanaire this weekend. First of all, I expect big things from a place like this. I mean that in the semi-literal sense. Make it big. Razzle-dazzle and all that. From a service perspective, an absolute victory. Our waiter was gregarious, knowledgeable, but also charismatic and fun.

On the food side, we were immediately presented with a tray of inedible vegetables on ice. The canned olives didn't taste canned, nor did they taste like olives. The bread was dry, and the butter hard. Note to Oceanaire: Depending on the customer's mood, they can spend $50 or $150 per head at your restaurant. Splurge a bit if you want us to do so.

I would have traded the above for a Red Lobster cheesy biscuit, and I'm not even intending that to be mean.

The crab cake was as advertised. Crabby, with just enough gunk to keep the thing a cake, and very tasty. My oysters were fine, and the clam chowder was beautiful. In fact, you could make a decadent meal of those three items.

Our entrees, the $29 (!) shrimp scampi and $29 (not !) monkfish, were just fine. To which, why on Earth should shrimp scampi cost as much as a fish entree? The shrimp were good quality, if a bit overdone, but the preparation is, essentially, butter noodles.

Monkfish was good. A shallot-heavy (note to anyone cooking at home: put shallots in everything, always) sauce that nonetheless let the fish speak for itself. I'm not as much into steaky fish, so this was up my alley.

The roasted beet side is, well, a hell of a lot of beets. It has that much going for it.

Dessert was a giant creme brulee. It was boilerplate (ostensibly a Thai coffee variation) but huge. The custard was inconsistent, which is probably why most creme brulee isn't, you know, giant, but Khris liked it, so what do I know?

------------

To which, I just nit-picked a bit. But isn't the Oceanaire the kind of restaurant you nitpick? Isn't that the idea, that we plebes spend a bit of money and, if nothing else, get everything done right? I'll take "does a lot of things well" from Little Szechuan any day, but at a certain point, shouldn't someone do something to bridge the $120 price gap?

Our waiter made a valiant effort, but when I hear that bread/desserts are baked at Parasole (which has no particular affiliation with the Oceanaire, and which generally disappoints me on a regular basis), it's hard to feel special.

------------

On the topic of Little Szechuan, it's just great Chinese food. I mean, what is there to say? There are six good Chinese restaurants in the Twin Cities. They are: Little Szechuan, Evergreen, Grand Szechuan, Tea House, Szechuan, and Szechuan Spice. I mean, right? So that's where you go.

However, I do wish Little Szechuan would put a few authentic dishes on their lunch menu (offerings @ $8.50). Nobody needs a gallon of Ma Po Tofu at 11:50 a.m., and the stuff doesn't reheat well.

------------

I have so much to say about the new trolley that is presently destroying St. Paul, but I'll leave that for a post later this week.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My goodness, nobody seems to care if we burn our own flag, but burn the "holy" book of the people who hate us?

Do you think all Muslims hate us?

10:23 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Most of them do, but I wasn't referring to the religion as a whole. Nobody would care about the burning of a Koran if it did not elicit an angry, violent response.

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin. Keep up the vitriol, man! You are eerily consistent. By the way if you are screening the comments, no big deal. You have to read this. I'm satisfied.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

I see you used an exclamation point. Can I ask what attracted you to Christ in the first place?

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, Kevin. You can ask just about anything buddy, but it is up to me to answer. So I will do very Jewish thing-- answer a question with a question. What attracted YOU to Christ, Kevin? Was it his love for poor people? Was it his non-violent resistance? Or did you fall in love with movement that made you feel better about yourself when you did wrong but allowed you to follow the principle of empire and domination? It would be interesting to know, Kevin.

Peace bro! Jesus loves you.

6:20 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

It was the fact that he was God personified, and my only path to redemption, as I had been condemned.

I disagree that centralized government is the antidote to poverty (history has my back on that one). I am not a pacifist, and cannot find defense for the idea in any but the most facile reading of the biblical texts.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bye Kevin. This is my last entry on your blog. Take care. I wish you well. I disagree with you and find your form of Christianity helpful in some ways but overall more harmful-- especially when you articulate hate, bitterness and selfishness (like when you say that the US must first look out for its own interests. Really?!! Would Jesus say that, Kevin?).

We are all on different parts of the journey. I wish you well on yours.

Signed,

A fan of Sojourners and of Jim Wallis, your nemesis.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home