Friday, May 06, 2011

Okay, one more thing...

This, from Scot McKnight:

Having said that, I can’t rejoice that he was shot to death or that he or anyone else is dead; I can’t rejoice because violence does not bring peace. It unleashes cycles of more violence. We may never know, but it sure looks to me that he could have been captured alive. Of course, bin Laden alive and captured could be one of the biggest nightmares our government could imagine, but that won’t change my view that if he could have been captured alive that would have been more Christian.
Is the stupidest thing I have read in response to the Osama Bin Laden killing.

I'll set aside the "violence begets violence" bit. That's boilerplate half-assed Christian pacifism. Pragmatic-sounding and non-falsifiable.

It sure looks to McKnight that Osama could have been captured alive? I'm glad that Scot's intensive special-ops training has given him keen insight into what constitutes self-defense. What? He went to some podunk bible college in Michigan? Oh... Maybe he's not so much equipped to accuse the Navy SEALS of war crimes.

I am confused by the assertion that capturing him would have been "more Christian". For those unfamiliar with the Bible, you are either a Christian or you are not. It's like being pregnant. There is right and there is wrong.

That aside, why is it more Christian to capture someone (after lighting up his compound and shooting his wife) then to kill them? What biblical principle is at play here? Saul, for the record, was vilified, VILIFIED for capturing his enemies instead of killing them.

Ugh...

I'm tired of the gospel being watered down to a spate of treacly bullshit. It seems to me that some Christians believe it is their mission to share the good news that Christ is a colossal pussy who wouldn't harm a fly (for the reason that he is incapable). Who wants that? Who wants to believe a God that forbids us to rejoice in the death of a murderous madman?

I don't, and I don't have to. That God is the figment of a very depressing imagination.

My God is tap-dancing on Osama's grave. He can walk on water after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home