Saturday, March 10, 2012

Tuesday Night Musings

It's Wednesday by the time you are reading this, but let's do this nonetheless.

------------

It was beautiful outside today. I chased puppies through the meadow. They didn't appreciate it at all. They just wanted to go home. But hell, with this weather, I say let the puppies suffer, am I right?

------------

Obamacare is going to cost twice as much as initially projected, which was obvious, based on math. This reminds me of a conversation I had in elementary school.

Me and Girl: *swinging*

Idiot Kid: *send third swing hurling perpendicular to our descent*

Us: *in pain*

Me: Why the hell did you do that, moron?

Idiot Kid: I thought it would be cool. I didn't know it would hit you.

So yeah, liberals are pretty much the idiot kids hurling swings at people for no particular reason, with results that are predictable to everyone but them.

------------

I am not watching tonight's NCAA pre-tournament warmup intramurals, but I can already tell you Iona is destroying BYU. I think they beat Marquette.

-------------

Lost in the Sandra Fluke kerfuffle is the essence of what is really so galling about her little song and dance. Here is a middle-aged woman receiving a world class education, begging the government to pay for her birth control.

Here's the deal. More and more, adults are delaying the foray into real life. It is becoming almost unheard of to have a real career before the age of 30. Bopping around from program to program, school to school, adults are behaving like kids for decades after they leave their parents.

Of course, all of this self-enrichment costs money. Absent the means to make any (also increasingly unheard of? Earning profitable degrees), the only option is to plead for more handouts.

This isn't sustainable (hence the deficit) and it sucks for those of us who have to cut the checks. And its only going to get worse. Do you think the Neverland class is keen to work until they are 70? Of course not, and when they hit their early 50s (after all of 14 years of work) they will come begging for enhanced retirement.

We should sell these people into slavery while we have the chance.

------------

We hit up Alda in Richfield this weekend. The changes from the old Taco Bell space are largely cosmetic, but so what? The falafel and baba ganoush were quite good, the lamb particularly tender (if underseasoned) and the portions are generous, which should go over well with Richfield residents.

Doesn't replace Emily's in my book, but if you are on the south side, well worth a visit.

2 Comments:

Blogger brgulker said...

Obamacare is going to cost twice as much as initially projected, which was obvious, based on math. This reminds me of a conversation I had in elementary school.

Serious question:

I do not know exactly how much the war in Iraq was projected to cost. However, I am all but certain that it has cost much, much more than projected.

Are you just as opposed to wars that break the bank your are to domestic/social programs that break the bank?

FWIW, I really don't know where I stand on "Obamacare." I'm not an economist, and I'm not very knowledgeable about the costs of health care. All I know for sure is that the physicians I know personally think "Obamacare" is a better alternative to what we had in place previously. Which isn't really much to know at all.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Kevin Sawyer said...

Obamacare was sold as a cost saving measure. We were told we could keep our insurance if we wanted to and that this wouldn't add to the deficit.

What bothers me is that the 10 year projections for Obamacare's costs were based on only six years of actual coverage. In other words, Obama was transparently lying when he said what Obamacare would cost. He is doing the same thing with student loan debt forgiveness.

Unlike the Iraq war, Obamacare represents a permanent role for government in health care.

12:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home